Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The euphoria of free coffee

The train scored a point at last today. When i arrived at Wimbledon, i was given a voucher for a free cup of coffee from the local coffee place. At first i ignored her, because much like pop-up advertising, we've become trained to ignore people that shove advertising in our faces. But then the words FREE and COFFEE reached the frontal part of my brain (where all the really important decisions take place) and i went back to collect it. I also thanked her on the way back past with my coffee, because i'm nice like that. And so was she.

Unfortunately, the euphoria of the free coffee didn't last very long, after i discovered my next train was delayed due to "flooding" at Kings Cross. Here's how Wimbledon train station dealt with the matter:

"The 7:07 thameslink train is delayed."
10 minutes later..
"the 7:07 thameslink train is cancelled."
"the 7:37 thameslink train is delayed."
10 minutes later..
"the 7:37 thameslink train is cancelled."

I could see a pattern emerging so i sought out an alternative route. This involved asking non-english speaking station staff questions that they couldn't understand, and reading an overly complicated map of London. In the end i decided best bet would be to carry on to Waterloo, and to get the Tube. Basically i shouldn't have bothered getting off my original train (except i got free coffee and a copy of the metro).

So tube travel. Scary. At first i thought the tube was actually just a series of underground tunnels that you walked, because it took forever to actually get to a train. But once on it, it was quick, efficient, and devoid of anyone carrying a backpack. What do you do if you do spot someone though? It's so crowded there's nowhere to go. Suffice to say i'm alive and well and at at my destination.

The tube station staff were all very good. All i had to do was explain i couldn't use the Thameslink, and they let me through all the barriers without a ticket. Anyone travelling by tube today if you don't want to pay just say you couldn't use the Thameslink.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I can't think of anything interesting to say, so I'll just say that it was a very enjoyable read. The worst thing about blogs is that you can never work out if anyone's actually paying attention!

Mark said...

I know it's terrible! It needs a hit counter or something. I guess i might be able to install one when i get round to fiddling with the template.

[could swear i posted this comment already, so apologies if u've read it already in some other thread]

Carl said...

I think the good folk at blogger should offer some sort of hit counter for us man, because I know some people read my blog, but I don't know quite how many do. And I want to know :'(.